Friday, July 25, 2008

Dominic's latest injury


On June 30th, Dominic slid into second base during his softball game and tore the ligament that holds his tibia and fibula together near his ankle. The force was so great that the ligament actually broke the bone and took a piece with it. The injury happened to be on his right side, the same side where he got the Jones Fracture last fall that had him in a cast for 10 weeks. After he got the injury on a Sunday night, he went to the Orthopedic and Fracture Clinic the next day and they diagnosed the injury and Tuesday morning he was in surgery. They inserted two screws to hold the bones together because the ligament was no longer doing that. The screws will be removed a couple months after he gets his cast off - we don't know yet if that will require another surgery.


I've been a little overwhelmed, to say the least, having to work, take care of Violet, and do EVERYTHING around the house including cook, clean, shop, waiting on Dominic, etc. all while being 5-6 months pregnant. I had an emotional breakdown and felt much better after I fell apart and pulled it back together again. Nathanael was only here for a week between trips but he was pretty helpful. We also got some house cleaners to come through the house and that made me feel a lot better especially since I'm nesting and can't stand to have the house too dirty right now.


He's been in a non-weight bearing cast all of July and will get it off (hopefully) on August 4th and should get a walking cast at that point. Its been too hard for him to watch Violet so I spent some time away from work, my mom helped, Nathanael helped for the week he was here, and for this week and next week Violet went to daycare, or "school", for the very first time. Violet loves going to school so much that until the baby comes, I might start spending 4-5hrs every Monday morning donating my time to another classroom so Violet can hang out in her classroom for a little extra socialization. The classroom leader couldn't believe how smart she is and she has such a great attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment